|The American Locomotive Company which became better known as ALCO started building Locomotives in the 1850s and from 1906 ALCO and GE worked together in the production of electric Locomotives. In 1924 both ALCO and GE joind INGERSOL RAND in the producing the first diesel-electric Locomotive. In 1929 ALCO acquired McIntosh & Seymour Engine Co and began building Locomotives under the ALCO GE name. 1953 saw GE going its own way in building locomotives and in1960 they indroduced the U25 Loco which bought ALCO and GE into competition.
ALCO continued using GE traction equipment but ALCO exited from the new locomotive market on December 31 1969. In 1964 ALCO was acquired by Worthington but back in 1904 ALCO purchased Montreal Locomotive Works which in 1964 Worthington started purchasing MLW stock and by 1967 Worthington owned 52% of MLW. In 1968 it took the name MLW Worthington. When ALCO left the market in 1969 MLW purchased the engineering design of ALCO and took over ALCO's worldwide Locomotive licensing agreements.
In 1974 MLW Worthington was sold to Bombardies which became Bombardies MLW but in 1978 a corporate restructure resulted in a new identity, the Rail and Diesel Products Division of Bombardies. The old name MLW dissapeared from the business referance. Bombardies discontinued manufacturing ALCO and MLW designs in 1985 due mainly to economical reasons.
In 1970 Worthington sold ALCO engines to White Motor Corporation which mainly built engines for the marine and stationary market. Then in 1977 ALCO engines was sold to GE of England. Bombardies purchased ALCO POWER from GE of England in 1984 then GE Canada acquired ALCO from Bombardies in 1989. In 1994 Fairbank Morse engine division aquired the rights to manufacture 251 engines for stationary and marine applications from GE Canada. Worldwide ALCO heritage remains alive and well in many countries.